Sunday, May 29, 2011

Hmmm

I think one of the coolest things about traveling is how someone’s world view changes due to the things he sees or the different experiences he has. This has happened to me on trips to Australia/New Zealand/Fiji and to El Salvador—I was able to see a different culture and gain a greater understanding of how people think and operate in different parts of the world. And I do think I am learning something similar to that here in China. From simple things like taking off your shoes and putting on sandals when you walk into your house to politely handing over cash to the receptionist using two hands while paying for museum tickets, I am gaining a greater understanding on how these people think and why they act the way they do. And although the Chinese, American, and El Salvadorian cultures have major differences, I have noticed that they all have a similar goal in life; that being, to be successful and happily. Upon noticing this, I started thinking why I think and act the way I do, and what my goal is in life.

I think that the most influential part of my life that affects the way I think and how I act is God and His presence. When I feel lost and have nowhere to go, I turn to God. When I am at the top of the Great Wall looking over beautiful mountains, I thank the Lord for His beautiful creation.  In the morning I flip open my Bible because I want to be in community with Him. The reason why I turn to God in these ways is because I have made it one of my goals to become a more godly man for Christ’s sake: I want my life to be transformed by God, for God and the purpose He has laid out for me.

In the current Chinese culture, success and living a happy life is defined by the job that you have. If you have a nice job you will make a lot of money and you can buy a nice apartment and meet all your needs. In order to take steps to reach this goal, one must start early: in elementary school. If you perform well in elementary school, you can move on to a good middle school. If you perform well in middle school, you can move on to a top high school. And if you perform well in high school, you might be able to make it into an OK college; then you can go on and get that job so you can have that “happy life.” This is why there is a stereotype that Chinese students study all the time, because they have to beat one another out to get to that next plateau (and the stereotype is very true). So, in order to reach their goal, they had to work hard and take vital steps. I would argue that a Christian who has a similar goal to mine goes through a process like this too; but a much more fulfilling, rewarding, and all around awesome process.

If the goal of a Christian is to be transformed by God, for God and the purpose He has for him/her, the Christian must give God opportunities to transform his/her life—and 2 vital steps that must be taken are reading God’s Word (God talking to us) and time spent in prayer (us talking to God).

Joshua 1:8 says, “Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.” (I’m thinking that I need to go tell the Chinese people this…) Through God’s Word we learn more about the Father, his character, his commands, and heck he even says we will prosper. Jesus says in John 14:21, “Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one that loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him.” By spending time in God’s word and putting what was learned into action, Christ says that he will show himself to us. I feel like that is a great step towards that goal.

Another step towards that goal is by prayer, talking to God and allowing him to speak to us through his Holy Spirit. Philippians 4:6-7 says, “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.” It says that our hearts and minds will be guarded in Christ, thanks to the peace of God. And through prayer, we can ask God to advance His work in us so that we can further glorify him, and he will come through on that: “If you remain in me, and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish and it will be given you,” John 15:7.  If you are selflessly prayers that ask for his Kingdom’s work to be done, God will come through. These, reading God’s word and spending time in prayer, are foundational blocks that must be laid for the Christian with the goal of knowing Christ and being transformed by Him for Him.

It’s funny how seeing and experiencing different cultures can be such an eye opening—you gain a greater understanding of their culture, but sometimes you also get down to thinking and understanding your own culture a little better.

-Alex

3 comments:

  1. It has been a blessing to read up on all of your adventures and also inspiring to follow your spiritual pursuits, knowing and imagining what distractions surround you there. I praise God for all that you have seen and experienced and the passion with which He has filled you even half way around the world. Thank you for your updates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right, Alex, in every way. By submitting to God's will, asking for his direction, blessing and protection, we are fulfilled. One thing that I think is lacking in the Eastern mind set is the reason for living: theirs is for measurable, quantitative success: worldly goods. We like those but feel it's more important to live a righteous life in the eyes of God. In their educational system, it is all directive work, so the Chinese can copy, make, and own everything, but where is their creativity? How many Nobel prizes are won by that culture for art, creative science, literature, etc.? Keep learning and growing through these experiences. You were a wonderful young man when you left but when you get back, I think that your wisdom, world view and idea of what God has in mind for you will become manifest. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to both of you for even reading my posts, i love yall

    ReplyDelete