Friday, June 10, 2011

Friends in Shanghai

Today I met up and hung out with Amy and Christy, who live in Shanghai. We got connected by a mutual friend, Jon Getz (thanks Jon!). We had a fun time hanging out at their house, then going out to a fake brand mall.

Last week the mall got raided by policemen, because the government is trying to take the issue of pirating very seriously—at least they want to look like they are taking it seriously, for political points. First of all, everybody knows this mall has knock off items, and pirated DVDs, and all sorts of items like that. The police knows…the larger government knows…but usually they let it slide if the store owners are being hush about it. But this mall got raided. When the mall gets “raided”, the police come and lock up the mall and don’t let the store owners leave. They then go into the stores, taking a portion of their knock off goods. Then they tell the store owners not to sell pirated stuff. After this rigmarole, the police pack up and leave.

Even though this mall got “raided” a week ago, there was still a lot of other really cool stuff, and I made some purchases for some of my family (so I’m not going to say what I got them). After the mall we headed out to a Starbucks to enjoy some Frappuccino’s while it was thundering outside. From there we went back to their house to play some Settlers and play some guitar/sing some worship songs. It was saucesome.

I was bad today and totally forgot to snap pictures (doh!). I’ll add some tomorrow night, my second last blogpost. It’s crazy to think, but I have 2 full days left in China and then the next day I leave for home…this trip has gone by so quick, and its almost time to get back to reality…almost ;)

-Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment